Gaudí Information

Antoni Gaudi The 25th of June in 1852 the son of a simple coppersmith is born in Reus, Spain. His parents name him Antonio Plácido Guillermo Gaudí i Cornet. As a child Antoni Gaudí has to stay at home or has to be carried around on a donkey much of the time, because of the rheumatism he has to deal with for his entire life. Still he goes to high school at the convent school of the fathers Escolapios in Reus from 1863-1868 and his drawings are published in a daily paper. Gaudí also designs the decor of the school theatre. From 1873-1877 he studies architecture at the Escola Provincial d'Arquitectura in Barcelona and he makes many designs. To earn money for his studies he works for some architecture offices, like the one of Josep Fontseré and Francisco Paula de Villar, designer of thye original plans for the Sagrada Familia. Below you can find some more info on Gaudí's most important works in Barcelona:

> Parc de la Ciutadella

top ^
Item: (gardens and fountains in) Parc de la Ciutadella
Construction Period: 1876-1882
Address: Parc de la Ciutadella (map)
Getting There: Metroline 1 Arc de Triomf
Opening Hours: mon-sun 10:00-dusk
Entrance Fee: Free Entrance
Parc de la Ciutadella - Gaudí

The Parc de la Ciutadella has been opened in 1888, when the world exhibition took place here in Barcelona. The gardens of the 30 hectare park have been designed by the French landscape architect Jean Forestier. Those gardens are situated around a couple of fountains which are partially invented by the student Antoni Gaudí. In the Parc de la Ciutadella you will also find the national zoo, the Arc del Triomf, the Museu d'Art Modern and a pond.

> Plaça Reial

top ^
Item: (lampposts at) Plaça Reial
Construction Period: 1879-1879
Address: Plaça Reial (map)
Getting There: Metroline 3 Liceu
Plaça Reial - Gaudí

By designing the lampposts at Plaça Reial the young Gaudí enlarged his practical experience. This was his first official order. There is also a fountain at the plaza and some palmtrees to complete it all.

> Casa Vicens

top ^
Item: Casa Vicens
Construction Period: 1883-1888
Address: Carrer de les Carolines 18-24 (map)
Getting There: Metroline 3 Fontana
Opening Hours: Not open for visitors, view from the outside
Casa Vicens - Gaudí

In 1878 brick- and tile manufacturer Manuel Vicens already asked Antoni Gaudí to build him a summer residence. It still lasted untill 1883 untill Gaudí really started the job. The Casa Vicens is a colorful collection of all kind of styles, like the Mudejarstyle, which is the most recognizable one. In 2005 the house has been added to the Unesco World Heritage Liast.

> Sagrada Familia

top ^
Item: Sagrada Familia
Construction Period: 1883-still under construction
Address: Plaza Sagrada Familia (map)
Getting There: Metroline 2 of 5 Sagrada Familia
Opening Hours: October-March: mon-sun 09:00-18:00
April-September: mon-sun 09:00-20:00
Entrance Fee: €8,- (students €3,-)
Elevator: €2,-
Sagrada Familia - Gaudí

In 1883 the 31-year old Gaudí took over the work on the building of the church of the Holey Family, the Sagrada Familia. During his building activities he adjusted the original designs as much as possible to his own wishes and ideas. In the beginning he still thought that he would be able to complete the church within 10 years. Eventually he didn't make it before his death in 1926 and even now the church is not finished yet. It became Gaudí's life work, he even went along the doors, collecting money for the construction activities. In 2005 the Sagrada Familia has also been added to the World Heritage List of Unesco.

> Finca Güell

top ^
Item: Finca Güell
Construction Period: 1884-1887
Address: Avenida Pedralbes 7 (map)
Getting There: Metroline 3 Palau Reial
Opening Hours: Only guided tours: mon-fri 09:00-13:00, English at 10:15 and 12:15
Entrance Fee: €5,-
Finca Güell - Gaudí

After finishing the house El Capricho in Comillas (1883-1885) Gaudí got the order to build the stables and pavilions on the estate of his friend and protector Eusebi Güell. Unfortunately the biggest part of the former country estate is no longer there. The Güells gave it away to the Royal family and some parts were used for new roads, like the wellknown Diagonal.

> Palau Güell

top ^
Item: Palau Güell
Construction Period: 1886-1888
Address: Nou de la Rambla 3-5 (map)
Getting There: Metroline 3 Liceu
Opening Hours: Under reconstruction, so no visitors allowed at this moment
Palau Güell - Gaudí

Gaudí's next order again came from Eusebi Güell: the construction of a city palace near the Ramblas. The palace looks kind of glommy from the street, but accommodates an extraordinary interior and has a fairytale-like garden on the roof. This building can be found on the Unesco World Heritage List since 1984.

> Colegio Teresiano

top ^
Item: Colegio Teresiano
Construction Period: 1888-1890
Address: Calle Ganduxer 85 (map)
Getting There: through trainstation La Bonanova
Opening Hours: only by appointment
Colegio Teresiano - Gaudí

With the budget and the decorations on the outside of this convent Gaudí really had to withhold himself. Thrift and slenderness were important for his principal: father Enric d'Osso, founder of the guild of the Theresian nuns.

> Casa Calvet

top ^
Item: Casa Calvet
Construction Period: 1898-1900
Address: Carrer de Casp 48(map)
Getting There: Metroline 1 of 4 Urquinaona
Opening Hours: Not open for visitors, view from the outside
Casa Calvet - Gaudí

Casa Calvet was an order from the community of Barcelona and should house a company and a living area. It was this building, undoubtedly Gaudí's most conventional one, that brought him an honour from the city.

> Bellesguard - Casa Figueres

top ^
Item: Bellesguard - Casa Figueres
Year of Construction: 1900
Address: Carrer de Bellesguard 16-20 (map)
Getting There: through trainstation Av. del Tibidabo, by mini-bus 123
Opening Hours: Not open for visitors, view from the outside
Bellesguard - Casa Figueres - Gaudí

In 1900 Gaudí started his work on Bellesguard, also known as Casa Figueres. Once the manor Bellesguard (beautiful sight) of Martí I, the last king of Barcelona, used to be on this very same spot. Gaudí never completed Bellesguard himself, in 1917 it was Domènec Sugranes who did so.

> Park Güell (en Gaudí Museum)

top ^
Item: Park Güell (en Gaudí Museum)
Construction Period: 1900-1914
Address: Carrer D'Olot (map)
Getting There: Metroline 4 Joanic or Metroline 3 Lesseps
Opening Hours: November-February 10:00-18:00
March-October 10:00-19:00
April-September 10:00-20:00
May-August 10:00-21:00
Entrance Fee: Free Entrance
Park Güell - Gaudí

The original idea that Eusebi Güell had with this barren hill in the northern part of Barcelona was to build a residencial paradise, a garden city. Eventually it became a park, with lots of green and only 2 instead of 60 residences. There were no people interested in a house on this place and only Gaudí and Güell himslef came to live here. In 1984 this park has also been added to the World Heritage List of Unesco.

> Casa Batlló

top ^
Item: Casa Batlló
Construction Period: 1904-1907
Address: Passeig de Gràcia 43 (map)
Getting There: Metroline 2 or 4 Passeig de Gràcia
Opening Hours: mon-sun 09:00-20:00, sometimes untill 14:00 because of a special event
Entrance Fee: Entrance Fee interior: €11,-
Entrance Fee roof and chimneys: €11,-
Entrance Fee all-in: €16,50
Casa Batlló - Gaudí

Another world heritage (since 2005) by Antoni Gaudí. This time the assignment came from Josep Batlló i Casanovas, a wealthy fabrics manufacturer, who wanted to have his dull house rebuilt to exceed the modern houses in the neighbourhood. His plan succeeded: Casa Batlló must have been the most modernistic building in the entire area.

> Casa Milà - La Pedrera

top ^
Item: Casa Milà - La Pedrera
Construction Period: 1906-1912
Address: C. Provença, Passeig de Gràcia 92 (map)
Getting There: Metroline 3 or 5 Diagonal
Opening Hours: mon-sun 10:00-20:00
Entrance Fee: Entrance Fee €8,- (students and retired: €4,50)
Casa Milà - Gaudí

Casa Milà or La Pedrera is the last building designed by Gaudí, before he completely fell upon his lifework: the Sagrada Familia. Principal for the construction was the rich Milà family, with whom he got some severe quarrels in the end. This large building of over 1000 square metres became a Unesco World Heritage in 1984.